Monday, October 31, 2011

Very Common Sense

I've been trying to start this blog for a long time...lots of failed attempts and false starts.  I always seem to get distracted.  For the last few weeks I"ve been whole heartedly distracted with the Occupy Movement.  There are so very many things fundamentally wrong with our country...

However....the last few days I was growing more frustrated with the movement.  I support them in all of the endeavors...but I"m basically a believer in the "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" philosophy.  They've been protesting for several weeks and they're garnering more media attention by the day...and shedding light on specific problems.  BUT...they're not offering solutions.  Without viable solutions...we have no end game. 

So...I've decided to take a more subtle approach. I figures if each and every home in America makes a few reasonable changes...they can effect HUGE change across the board.  So...with my family protesting the whole way...I'm changing the way we do things around here.

Don't misunderstand....I'm not suggesting we all wear prairie skirts and haul water from the nearest creek.  I would pretty much suck at that.  I'm suggesting we get to know our local community better...shop local and keep our money in the community we live in and out of the corporate pockets.  I have no delusions of gradeur...Walmart won't even notice I"ve quit schlepping up there 5 times a week.  But if I can do it...you can do it...and if we all do it...Walmart WILL notice.

There are more changes coming...MANY more.  But I don't want to overwhelm you.  Just remember...every decision you make...ever dollar you spend...it has an impact.  You get to decide who it impacts and how it impacts your family and your community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment