Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Accountability

Ten days ago we made the decision to avoid the 'big box stores'.  We (and by we I mean I told the rest of the family this was the plan and to get on board) swore to never again enter any store belonging to the corporate world.

It ain't easy.  It's not impossible...but it's also not easy.  It requires a real commitment.  I have to think a bit harder about what I want vs. what I need...and since I live in a small town near a big town...I plan my purchases a little better...basically because I'm lazy and don't want to drive down town five times a week.

We've specifically boycotted Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe's and...the mall.  For now...we're still shopping at Ross, Rugged Warehouse, and a local grocery store.  I'll be honest...I haven't investigated Ross.  For all I know it's owned by some corporate giant and every penny I spend is perpetuating the 1% problem.  But...we're taking baby steps here.  We've also decided in cases where we have to choose between spending a lot less money...and avoiding the corporate world...we're gonna save money.  In other words...I'm still shopping at the Dollar Store. 

As part of our 'get back to basics' mentality I've started using more whole foods and fewer processed foods.  I started making honey mustard.  It requires honey...duh.  I looked for it this past weekend when I bought groceries and the 10 oz bottle was $4.50.  The same bottle was $1 at the Dollar Store (imagine that)  so I bought six. 

For now...I'm allowing a lot of leniency in our endeavors.  As we move forward and I learn more about local businesses, we'll change things. 

On a side note...I kinda love this.  There's a richness to my day that didn't exist before.  I feel a greater sense of accomplishment when I serve pasta, knowing I not only used veggies from my garden but I made the sauce myself...and did NOT simply open a jar of Ragu.  I've also started spending more time at the library.  It's unfortunate that most of us simply don't have the basic skills to exist without corporate America at our fingertips.  So...I pillage the library shelves almost daily looking for books to help.  Today I picked up two books on canning and preserving food.  Yay!

OK-the accountability....
Starting today...November 1...I'm going to keep a running total of our expenses.  Every receipt will be saved and the month's total will be posted Dec. 1.  The point is to show myself, and you, just how much of an impact one little family can have.  Daily...it doesn't seem like we impact corporate America...but when you see the total at the end of the month....and then again at the end of the year...I think we'll see just how impactful each family can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment